Archive for the ‘Sport’ Category

Bafana Bafana legends Brian Baloyi and Neil Tovey

The Orange Africa Cup of Nations, South Africa 2013 Trophy will be in Soweto tomorrow Saturday, 24th November 2012 as Standard Bank and the Confederation of African Football (CAF) continue to afford fans the opportunity to see and be photographed with the coveted prize.

The final of the Orange Africa Cup of Nations, South Africa 2013 will be played at magnificent Soccer City stadium on 10 February 2013, after which the winning captain will hold the Trophy triumphantly aloft into the Soweto sky.

But before then, football fans will be able to see the biggest prize in African football for themselves at the Jabulani Mall in Soweto this Saturday, 24 November from 11:00 until 15:00

Accompanying the Trophy will be Bafana Bafana legends Neil Tovey and Brian Baloyi, who will be on hand to chat to supporters and relay their stories of having played in the continental showpiece.

It follows highly successful tour stops in Durban last month and in Port Elizabeth this past weekend when hundreds of supporters turned out to be seen with the trophy.

“I really enjoyed it in Port Elizabeth, to witness so many people come out to see the trophy was amazing. You could really feel the buzz of excitement about the upcoming Orange Africa Cup of Nations and Standard Bank should be congratulated for staging this tour to help get people excited about the event,” said Baloyi.

Soccer City will host a double-header on the opening day of the Orange Africa Cup of Nations, South Africa 2013 on Saturday, January 19 as South Africa take on debutantes Cape Verde Islands, and later Angola meet Morocco.
The competition will then be played a tour other stadiums before returning to Soccer City for the final on Sunday, February 10, where a new champion of Africa will be crowned.

Tovey said “Soccer City is known as the National Stadium of South Africa and it is a fitting place to open and close the Orange Africa Cup of Nations, SOUTH AFRICA 2013. The old Soccer City stadium was a great venue and has special memories for me and all South Africans as it is where we won the competition in 1996. But this new venue is truly magnificent and it is a chance for new memories to be created, hopefully with the South African captain holding the Trophy aloft once more”.

“It will be crucial for South Africa that they get off to a good start against Cape Verde Islands and if they do then there is every chance that we will see them again at Soccer City on 10 February. I am sure the stadium will be packed for the opening games and that will create a special atmosphere and give the players the boost they need to perform,” Baloyi adds.

“We are delighted to have the trophy back in Mzansi after hosting successful Standard Bank Trophy Tours in the country ahead of previous Orange Africa Cup of Nations tournaments. The fact that this time it will stay here until the final of the 2013 event on February 10 makes it extra special.

“The Africa Cup of Nations is a tournament steeped in history and over the past 55 years of competition we have seen some memorable tournaments. This Standard Bank Trophy Tour is the start of what we hope will be another great memory for the continent and further proof of South Africa’s tremendous ability to host major international competitions,” says Jenny Pheiffer, Head of Brand and Sponsorships, Standard Bank.

“We see this as a major opportunity to connect with our customers, football fans and our employees through our shared passion for Africa and African football. It will allow them an opportunity to become part of the South Africa 2013 tournament and share their love for the game,” she added

The final stop of the Trophy Tour will be at the Riverside Mall in Nelspruit on Saturday, 8 December (11:00-15:00).

Advertisements

SABC Acting COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng, PSL Chairman Dr. Irvin Khoza and SABC Board Member Thami ka-Plaatjie

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) and the Premier Soccer League (PSL) yesterday announced a 5 year agreement which was reached between both parties regarding radio broadcasting rights.

The contract is said to be trade-exchange, meaning the SABC will not be paying cash to the PSL, but will rather provide airtime, which is the organisation’s currency.

In addition, all PSL announcements will be made through the SABC’s radio platforms.

The agreement will see 11 SABC Radio stations continue with their traditional broadcasting of PSL matches live on Radio. Further to this, the agreement will see the introduction of some new and exciting elements to the partnership, such as weekly magazine programs focused on the PSL, talking about games, activities within the PSL and loads of fan rewards such as competitions.

 

The magazine show is also going to be a big part of the PSL’s new Q innovations strategy, providing communication support.

The SABC’s Acting Chief Operations Officer, Mr. Hlaudi Motsoeneng said “For us, we are delighted that we can utilize the power of our radio stations, to fulfill our mandate of showing sports of national importance. For the South African public, the love of soccer is strong and this partnership with the PSL will ensure that we can provide our audiences with compelling sports programming, while generating revenue for the organisation.”

The Chairman of the PSL Dr. Khoza said, “The ‘week in and week out’ of pre-match conversations in the 11 SABC Radio Stations will enable and enhance participation by the fans and supporters of the beautiful PSL game in what is clearly their passion. The Q-Innovation has succeeded in getting every match of the league to be played by clubs as if it is a knockout competition game.”

These are the newly elected EXCO members

Dr. Irvin Khoza has been voted in for a fifth term in office as the Chairman of the National Soccer League subsequent to being unopposed at the Quadrennial General Meeting.

The National Soccer League (NSL), announced its new Executive Committee to lead its members into what is predicted to be an unprecedented growth at their Quadrennial General Elections held in Johannesburg.

Dr. Khoza paid tribute to the outgoing Executive Committee (EXCO) for the work that has been accomplished in the past four years within the association. “It has been a successful four year term and improving financial streams of the National Soccer League,” says Dr. Khoza. Overall we have performed well as the outgoing EXCO. We hope we can continue with the impressive work that has been done by the outgoing executive. The focus now will be to continue to be relevant in the market place, and continue to impress our sponsors who have been supportive of the leadership of the league even during a difficult economic climate”.

The newly elected members of the Executive Committee members are:
• Kaizer Motaung (Kaizer Chiefs)
• Mike Mokoena (Free State Stars)
• Daniel Simelane (Mamelodi Sundowns)
• Mato Madlala (Golden Arrows)
• John Comitis (Ajax Cape Town)
• Stanley Matthews (SuperSport United)
• David Thidiela (Black Leopards)

Patrick Sokhela, Goolam Allie, Jomo Sono, Floyd Mbele and Khulu Sibiya all declined nomination while Farouk Kadodia, Lunga Sokhela and Khumbulani Konco were in contention but not elected.

At a media briefing “Iron Duke” lambasted the media when he was questioned whether this was his last term and declined to comment on his nomination for SASCOC. “Recently Obama was re-elected into office and was congratulated, I’m expecting the same whereby you would ask me how I managed to do it but no you never recognise the good work done” he concluded his acceptance speech by congratulating Banyana Banyana for their sterling performance in the African Women’s Championship by beating the Super Falcons (Nigeria). “We want to maintain our focus that we support the national interest and acknowledge Banyana Banyana for their efforts as they qualified for the African Women’s Championship final.

Journalist Tshepi Nthinya from The Weekly SA walked away as the official winner of the Q-Innovation 1 scooping staggering R250 000 prize money after she correctly predicted Kaizer Chiefs as the winners of Q 1 as they finished the first quarter on top with an impressive 18 points out of 8 matches, however she missed out on the R500 000 prize money for not getting the exact number of points.

The competition was open to all members of the media from the start of the season and closed on 28 October 2012 after every team had played its eight opening games to complete Q1. The media were challenged to make predictions based on their experience and thorough knowledge of the teams, local game and conditions.

The Soweto based journo said “I still can’t believe it. At first I thought I was dreaming, but when I got the call the second time around I knew it was for real.” said the winning journo. I’m honoured to have won the Q1 as I know that there were quite a few of us who claimed to have our predictions right. Nonetheless I’m thrilled that I have won and I hope this goes to show that I know my football. As journalists we have a competitive side and it’s always good to know that I was the overall winner of this great innovation.”

#Due to safety reasons this blogger was given a stern warning by the PSL not to publish her photo.