Archive for the ‘Current Affairs’ Category

Men and women in blue parade at the recent SOPA

Men and women in blue parade during the State of the Province Address. Picture by Smanga Kumalo.

Gauteng Premier David Makhura on Wednesday announced that the province finally has a permanent Police commissioner in newly appointed General Deliwe Suzan De Lange.

Announcing De Lange’s appointment, Makhura said he is pleased that the issue of instability with the position of Gauteng Police Commissioner has finally been addressed. The Premier during his State of the Province Address voiced his concern about lack of a permanent appointment in this position.

De Lange is the first Police Commissioner appointed in a permanent capacity, since Bethuel Mondli Zuma was fired in 2013.

General Lesetja Mothiba was appointed in an acting capacity after Zuma was fired, and he was in turn replaced by Major General Eric Nkuna, who was appointed acting commissioner last month.

“We wish to congratulate and welcome Major De Lange in her new and demanding role,” Makhura said.

“We are confident that she brings a wealth of experience with her to help us fight crime and build a safer Gauteng.”

Welcoming De Lange’s appointment, the Premier’s office said that she has risen through the ranks since she joined the SA Police Service (SAPS) at the age of 22.

As the first female provincial commissioner ever to be appointed in Gauteng, De Lange has more than 30 years of experience.

Prior to her appointment as Gauteng Police Commissioner, she held the position of Deputy Provincial Commissioner for Human Resource Management in the province.

Advertisements
Midvaal mayor Bongani Baloyi has filed a case of intimidation

Midvaal mayor Bongani Baloyi has filed a case of intimidation against FF+

A case of intimidation has been filed by the Executive Mayor of Midvaal, Bongani Baloyi, at the Meyerton Police Station.

According to the Democratic Alliance, a community meeting for Ward 13 in the NG Kerk Oos, Riversdal where mayor Baloyi was to address the community regarding progress in Midvaal achieved so far, and share the vision for Midvaal for the next five years was violently interrupted by members of Freedom Front Plus.

DA Gauteng Provincial Leader, John Moodey said, “These FF+ members came to intimidate mayor Baloyi and fellow DA members from delivering our message to the community. The DA condemns these desperate antics by the FF+ as symptomatic of the proverbial ‘dying horse’.

“We will write to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) to investigate this political intolerance to prevent another incident like this in Midvaal.”

“I will not allow anyone to intimidate and threaten me because of my political association, views on AA and BBBEE and most importantly because of the colour of my skin,” Baloyi said.

Fanie Du Preez during court proceeding

Fanie du Preez during court proceding. Picture by Netwerk

The Vanderbijlpark man, accused of killing his wife and two children appeared in Vanderbijlpark Magistrate’s Court on Friday.

Fanie Du Preez’s trial was postponed until 11 April and he will remain in custody until then. Members of both families were in the courtroom. De Preez did not communicate with his wife’s family, but waved to his relatives before staring straight ahead for the rest of his appearance.

Du Preez wore blue jeans and blue and white checked shirt with a white collar. Du Preez said he no longer needed legal aid as his family has hired Jaco van Wyk as his lawyer.

Du Preez has been behind bars since December, which was when the court rejected his bail application.

The court heard during the bail application that Du Preez gave police contradicting stories of what happened the night his family was murdered.

SOURCE: News24

Rubbles from the blown rooftop landed on top of cars

Rubble of the rooftop that landed on top of vehicles. Picture: Sourced

The roof top of a popular restaurant chain store in Vanderbijlpark CBD was blown off on Thursday afternoon.

SAPS confirmed the incident at Wimpy in President Kruger Street and that the roof landed on four vehicles.

Police spokesperson, Gertrude Makhale, says this was due to severe weather that has been experienced in the area.

Makhale said the traffic department and Fire and Rescue Services were on scene and closed the roads to clear the rubble from the road.

“The SAPS was on scene, but they withdrew after realising it was a natural disaster to give the other departments space to finish their work,” Makhale concluded.

DA Caucus Leader Simon Mollo calls Emfuleni to account for negligence

DA Caucus Leader Simon Mollo calls for Emfuleni to account. Picture: Sourced

The Democratic Alliance in Sedibeng has blamed Emfuleni Local Municipality following the drowning of two learners from a special need school.

The incident which occurred in the Emfuleni Municipal Swimming pool in Sharpeville saw two learners, aged 14 & 17; from the Thabo Vuyo Special School drown due to negligence.

DA Caucus Leader, Simon Mollo said, “The DA went to inspect the Municipal Swimming pool on Friday and is concerned about our findings. There is no access-control to the swimming pool whatsoever. This leaves it open to anyone from the public to access the premises even when no supervision is available.”

“Municipal staff members are letting people in when the pool is supposed to be closed and no lifeguards are on duty. This means the amounts to neglect. It is tragic how the most vulnerable have to suffer the consequences of the ANC-governments neglect.”

Mollo further cited that the DA calls on the SAPS for a swift and thorough investigation into the matter.

“I will be writing to MMC Shaka Radebe for Sports, Recreation, Arts, Culture and Library Information Systems to find out why staff members are by-passing the safety protocols and for them to be suspended pending an investigation,” Mollo concluded.

A swimming pool in which two learners drowned in

A swimming pool in which two learners drowned. Picture Credit: DA 

Two school children lost their lives in a government swimming pool.

The 17 and 14 year-old boys from Thabo Vuyo Special School drowned on the morning of February 16.

The two pupils were amongst a group of other learners who visited the Emfuleni Swimming Pool. It is alleged they were guided by their female teacher.

According to Emfuleni Local Municipality, the group entered the facilities unauthorised, “unfortunately” the event ended up in tragic death of two learners.

“Whilst there is an arrangement runs only between Tuesdays and Fridays,” said municipal spokesperson Stanley Gaba in a statement.

“During this time, swimming instructors and lifeguards are available to supervise safety and rescue swimmers when the need arise.”

Every Monday of the week, the facilities are closed for maintenance.

According to him, the reasons for yesterday’s unauthorised entry are unknown.

The matter is currently under investigation with the SAPS.

CoJ Housing MMC Bonakele Bovu addressing residents of Lakeside extensions.

CoJ Housing MMC Bonakele Bovu addressing residents of Lakeside extensions.

by SMANGA KUMALO

LAKESIDE – RESIDENTS are fuming as they haven’t received their title deeds to attests as owners of the Reconstruction and Development Programme [RDP] housing projects meanwhile scores have unlawfully occupied houses.

Now, they have resorted to MMC for Housing at the City of Joburg, Dan Bonakele Bovu to mediate, since they believe five previous Gauteng MEC’s namely Dan Mofokeng, Paul Mashatile, Nomvula Mokonyane, Humphrey Memezi and Jacob Mamabolo dismally failed them.

Undertaken in 1996, this massive housing project located at the entrance of south of Joburg near Boulevard says very little about the promise of a better life for the poor.

Late last year, residents went on a rampage barricading Boulevard and Palm Drive by burning tyres and rocks to get the department to listen.

On Sunday, Bovu responded to their turmoil and notified them that the department has appointed a committee including lawyers that will deal with this “fiber challenge”.

Some residents claimed they have received eviction letters from the sheriffs. However, Bovu poured cold water emphasizing that no-one including the councilor has the power to evict people.

“This is an ancient challenge, we call it a fiber challenge, but we can’t say it is difficult and problematic. We were busy auditing these houses but we did not finish. Please open doors for us so that we can manage to sort out these issues,” he urged residents.

During the audit, the department has established that two people own one house and this is attributed to illegal occupation of the houses.

Bovu confirmed that there are people who occupied houses having not applied for them.

There are also allegations that some officials were selling houses to people.
Asked about the way forward, Bovu said those who have houses in Lakeside but are not occupying them, they would be re-routed.

Few RDP houses in the area are incomplete as the contractor left only concrete slabs.

The beneficiaries claim they’re unable to complete the houses citing poverty and unemployment.

Committee leader, Lazarus Hlape, said they fought amongst themselves as residents.

“We have turned this ward upside down, but we know what we want,” said Hlape.

Edited by REGINALD NHLAPO